RAHB’s Latest Updates
This week the Ontario Regional Technology & Information Systems (ORTIS) group and the Ontario Collective™ announced they have signed an agreement to consolidate their two MLS® Systems into one. The consolidated system is expected to go live later this year. Note that this agreement relates only to the MLS® System – the participating boards/associations are not merging.
RAHB congratulates this effort and, as always, we look for ways for our REALTOR® members to access the broader Ontario real estate markets, and will share listings from within the RAHB market with others across Ontario on a reciprocal basis. Since August 2017, our members and those participating in ORTIS have shared all listings, helping over 8,000 REALTORS® better serve their clients.
Based on the contract we have in place with ORTIS, we expect their new arrangement with the Ontario Collective will provide our members access to listings across twelve additional boards/associations. To bridge the period until the consolidation occurs later this year, we are working with the Ontario Collective to put in place an interim data access arrangement, which we anticipate announcing this spring.
We will be sure to update you with new information as it arises, and we remain committed to our strategy of Providing Comprehensive Local MLS® Related Real Estate Market Data.
The REALTORS® Association of Hamilton-Burlington (RAHB) reported 11,882 all-property sales through the Association’s Multiple Listing Service® (MLS®) System in 2018, 17.5 per cent fewer sales than in 2017. Click here to read the entire report.
Follow the links below for more 2018 year-end stats:
- Residential Real Estate Market Activity Comparison Table for the Communities within the RAHB Market Area – 2018
- RAHB Residential Market At A Glance – Property Type Comparison – 2018
- Market Activity Map of RAHB Communities – 2018
- RAHB Commercial Market Activity Table – 2018
Please note that the self-protection course scheduled for January 17 is full however RAHB has organized another course with Rob Andress! Rob will be back at RAHB on Tuesday, February 19, 2019 from 10 a.m. – 3 p.m. to teach Self Protection and Strategies to Avoid Violence for Real Estate Professionals.
To learn more about this course, please visit our website here.
A new education opportunity titled Seven Proven Steps to Help Estate Professionals Save Tax with speaker Cherry Chan will take place on Thursday, February 21 from 10 a.m. – Noon. As well we will have Maureen Tabuchi at RAHB on Monday, January 21 from 9:30 a.m. – Noon to speak towards Estate Planning – What Real Estate Professionals Need to Know.
Rental Scam Alert
A rental scam was recently brought to the attention of a local brokerage, whereby their for sale listing, was fraudulently posted for rent on Kijiji . The property detail was stolen from REALTOR.ca. The ad poster/scammer demanded rent up front from the renter. The renter became suspicious, and thankfully searched the property address, found the official listing, and called the listing REALTOR® to report. Please be aware of such scams.
Open House Thieves
On January 6, 2019, a REALTOR® hosted an open house at a condominium in Stoney Creek. During the open house, a mother and son entered entered who claimed they were interested in buying; however, throughout the open house the son broke into a cabinet and stole several items of value from the condo. The women was older (70/80 years old) with blond air and grey roots. The son was 35-40 years old, 5’8, with medium brown hair and a long beard. Please be vigilant during open houses and report incidents if they happen.
Please be advised that the URL for the City of Hamilton tax calculator has changed. The new URL is provided on Matrix, as well as the City of Hamilton’s website as http://taxcalculator.hamilton.ca/. Please disregard all other URL’s as they will not give the correct information.
For more information, please visit the City of Hamilton website: https://www.hamilton.ca/home-property-and-development/property-taxes/tax-calculator
OREA has made revisions to the 2019 Standard Forms and Clauses (see revisions below) and the new forms are now available via CREA’s WEBForms®.
Please use these new forms immediately for any new webkits that need to be created. The cutoff date for use of the old forms is Friday, February 1, 2019, after which RAHB will no longer accept the 2018 forms.
As of February 1, the new forms will be available in the Realty Shoppe.
Due to an extensive number of OREA Forms revised in 2019 (many of which were minor, correction or housekeeping), we are identifying herein the 2019 OREA Forms NOT revised from 2018 to 2019.
OREA strongly encourages Members to always use the current year OREA Forms, to ensure they are using the most up to date and accurate OREA Forms & Clauses available. Further, OREA recommends Members retrieve their OREA FORMS from an OREA Forms Third Party Licensee source, to ensure again they are accessing the most up to date and accurate OREA Forms.
With the beginning of 2019, we welcome some new faces to our Board of Directors for 2019.
Hank Balfoort is a Broker at Right at Home Realty Inc. He has worked in organized real estate and been a member of RAHB for 15 years. Hank served on the RAHB Arbitration Committee during 2018 and he will bring his critical thinking and open mind to the RAHB Board in 2019.
Jacqueline Norton is a Salesperson at Realty Network: 100 Inc. She has worked in organized real estate and been a member of RAHB for 19 years. Jacqueline also worked for the City of Hamilton where she worked closely with the City Councillors, their committees and Council. Jacqueline is excited to help RAHB take on challenges in the year to come.
Andrew Robertson is a Broker of Record at Keller Williams Complete Realty. He has worked in organized real estate and been a member of RAHB for 13 years. Andrew previously served two years on RAHB’s Board of Directors and is excited to return to help RAHB in the coming year.
Julie Sergi is a Salesperson at Royal LePage Burloak Real Estate Services. She has worked in organized real estate and been a member of RAHB for 13 years. Julie sat on the RAHB Professionalism Task Force and Member Engagement Committee. Julie is very interested in keeping the professionalism of the RAHB Board as a top priority so the general public and RAHB membership continue to appreciate, respect and value the service RAHB REALTORS® offer.
Brian Shaw is a Salesperson at Royal LePage State Realty. He has worked in organized real estate and been a RAHB member for eight years. Brian has served on RAHB’s Charity Auction Task Force as a co-chair for two years and as a member for five years. Brian hopes to continue to be a part of the positive change within RAHB and the community.
Nicolas von Bredow
Nicolas von Bredow is a Broker at Royal LePage Macro Realty. He has worked in organized real estate and been a RAHB member for 13 years. Nic was the 2018 Chair of the Government Relations Committee and has served on other committees in the past. Nic looks forward to helping guide the Association into the future during 2019.
Hamilton, ON (January 2, 2019) – The REALTORS® Association of Hamilton-Burlington (RAHB) reported 534 sales of residential properties located within the RAHB market area were processed through the Multiple Listing Service® (MLS®) System in December, 2018.
Follow the links below for:
- Residential Market Activity for RAHB Area
- All RAHB Residential Market Activity and HPI Report (17 pages)
- RAHB Residential Market at a Glance
- Social Media Stats Kit
- Stats Map for Entire RAHB Area
- RAHB Commercial Activity
- Historical Chart
- Residential Real Estate Market Activity Table for Burlington
- Burlington Market Activity and HPI Report (72 pages)
- Burlington Area Map
- Residential Real Estate Market Activity Table for Haldimand
- Haldimand Market Activity and HPI Report (62 pages)
- Haldimand Area Map
- Residential Real Estate Market Activity Table for Hamilton
- Hamilton Market Activity and HPI Report (199 pages)
- Hamilton Area Map
- Residential Real Estate Market Activity Table for Niagara North
- Niagara North Market Activity and HPI Report (31 pages)
- Niagara North Area Map
- Monthly statistics packages have been upgraded and expanded to include more – and more comprehensive – regional information, as well as CREA’s Home Price Index.
- OpenHouses.ca now includes all local active listings – not just open houses.
- Our member value package, RAHB Advantage, was developed to provide you, and in some cases your clients, with discounts not available to the general public.
- RAHB acted quickly to put in place Virtual Office Website (VOW) rules and regulations to enable our members to comply with the Supreme Court of Canada decision and the Competition Bureau’s view that the ruling against TREB applies to all boards/associations.
- We investigated how to increase professionalism among members and have taken steps, through Professional Development offerings and collaboration with the City of Hamilton (re: signage bylaw compliance), to more fully inform members on ethical and professional issues.
- We continued to improve and expand on how we connect with members: Lunch with the President, video updates for members immediately following each Board of Directors meeting, Broker of Record meeting updates, weekly NewsReal newsletter, social media campaigns and even more videos.
- Government relations remained an important focus with our work against rental licensing in Hamilton, as well as advocacy at Queen’s Park and on Parliament Hill.
- RAHB offered various networking and professional development options through member meetings, spring and fall Open Forums, ProDev+, Real Estate Outlook 2019 and Broker of Record meetings.
- Your monthly service fees in 2019 will be reduced from $39 per month to $38 effective January 1, 2019. This is the second year in a row that we have reduced your fees while maintaining or expanding services to you.
- This year saw the greatest number of RAHB members on record. We hit a high of 3,167 members at year end, the highest on record for RAHB making us the second largest real estate board/association in Ontario, clearly indicating REALTORS® value what we offer.
Wishing every day of 2019 is filled with success, happiness and prosperity! Happy New Year from your RAHB staff and Board.
The 2018 Year End Review was sent to members on Friday, December 28, 2018 by Jack Loft, 2018 RAHB President, and George O’Neill, RAHB CEO. Click here to read the review.
We extend a warm welcome to RAHB’s newest members who joined our Association between November 28, 2018 and December 21, 2018.
Century 21 Dreams Inc.
Century 21 Heritage Group Ltd.
Coldwell Banker Momentum Realty
Grand Victoria Realty Inc.
Keller Williams Complete Realty
Keller Williams Edge Realty
RE/MAX Escarpment Realty Inc.
RE/MAX Escarpment Frank Realty
Right At Home Realty Inc.
Royal LePage Burloak Real Estate Services
Sutton Group About Town Realty Inc.
Sutton Group Realty Systems
The Hamilton Conservation Authority Board of Directors has approved the 2019 Plan Review and Permit Fee Schedule. Please view the schedule below.
Members, sponsors, staff and friends of the REALTORS® Association of Hamilton-Burlington (RAHB) showed their generosity and community spirit this holiday season by raising $76,525 for the 900CHML/Y108/Fresh Radio 953 Children’s Fund.
RAHB President Jack Loft and the Charity Auction Task Force – including Co-Chairs Mark Loeffler and Brian Shaw, and members Jackie Corcoran and Kristeena Berube – presented a cheque on Tuesday, December 18 to Children’s Fund Directors Lisette Culley and Krista Taaffe.
RAHB staff were honoured to support several local organizations that provide for many throughout our communities this holiday season!
RAHB staff donated:
– $400 worth of toys and $400 in financial support to Neighbour2Neighbour Centre
– $800 in financial support to Mission Services
– $800 worth of non-perishable food and toiletry items to Mission Services through the RAHB Santa 5K race
Thank you to these great organizations for all the great work they do!
Happy holidays from RAHB!