This Monday, October 1 is National Seniors Day in Canada. It’s a day set aside to celebrate and honour seniors in this country – those who are over the age of 64. In addition to showing your respect and gratitude for the older adults in your life, this presents an opportunity to remind family, friends and clients of the housing/home resources available for seniors.
At the provincial level there are several resources that benefit our seniors:
- Senior Homeowners’ Property Tax Grant – low income seniors may be eligible for up to $500 back on their property taxes. ontario.ca/page/senior-homeowners-property-tax-grant
- Seniors who are unable to stay within their home have various housing alternatives. A listing from the Ontario Government can be found at ontario.ca/page/seniors-find-place-to-live.
There are also several resources available at the municipal level:
- City of Hamilton offers Tax Assistance Programs, including a specific seniors (65+) tax rebate. These can be found on the City of Hamilton website at hamilton.ca/home-property-and-development/property-taxes/tax-assistance-programs.
- Region of Halton (Burlington) offers the Halton Accessibility Repair Program (HARP). If you are a home owner and need modifications to your home to increase accessibility, HARP may be able to help. HARP provides limited funding to eligible homeowners to improve and/or maintain independent living. For more information please visit http://beta.halton.ca/For-Residents/Housing-Supports-and-Services/living-in-assisted-housing/Halton-Accessibility-Repair-Program-(HARP).
- In Haldimand, Senior Support Services provide information and resources for seniors, including house cleaning, outdoor yard work, snow removal and minor repairs. More information and resources can be found at seniorsupport.ca/.
- In the Niagara region, Community Support Services Niagara is a volunteer based not-for-profit agency providing comprehensive client-driven community support services to help seniors and adults with disabilities live independently in their own homes. Services include home maintenance, leaf and snow removal, safety at home resources, and others. For more information, please visit cssn.ca/.
These are just a few of the resources available within our RAHB areas that can help seniors with their housing/home needs. In addition to the above-listed resources, even more can be found at www.ShowMetheGreen.ca.
We encourage you to share these resources with your clients, friends and family to ensure our seniors are best prepared for their residential situation.
And please use the hashtag #SeniorsDay on Twitter, Instagram and Facebook on October 1 to share any additional resources you have with your fellow REALTORS® — and tag us too!