Did you know that RAHB has its fingers on the pulse of what’s going on municipally, provincially and federally through its Government Relations Committee? And that RAHB has built relationships with business organizations to become an influential member of the community?
Your association is very much part of the local and wider communities so that your interests – and those of home buyers and sellers – are considered and protected when decisions are being made.Your association is very much part of the local and wider communities so that your interests – and those of home buyers and sellers – are considered and protected when decisions are being made.
Here are just a few of the ways RAHB has been involved in local, provincial and national issues:
- RAHB’s leadership and Government Relations Committee representatives participate in annual CREA and OREA Political Action Conferences, where the big event is meeting with local MPs and MPPs to discuss real estate-related issues. These relationships are built further at local visits with the same representatives.
- RAHB worked to dissuade Hamilton City Council from adopting landlord licensing and to encourage the city to develop and present a program to encourage landlords to safely create secondary suites through simple, legal means. As this conversation continues at City Hall, RAHB has a voice at the table to ensure affordable housing is maintained in a safe way.
- In 2015, RAHB’s Government Relations Committee successfully lobbied City Councillors to discourage them from considering asking for powers to impose a municipal land transfer tax.
- RAHB partnered with the Hamilton Chamber of Commerce and Hamilton-Halton Home Builders Association in the 2014 civic election. Together, as the Hamilton Business Leaders, the group hosted a Q&A with the mayoralty candidates.
- Representatives from RAHB are consistently invited to participate on committees, as part of focus groups and in other forms of stakeholder engagement in Hamilton, Burlington and beyond, allowing members voices to be heard as well and information to flow both ways.
- RAHB holds membership in all Chambers of Commerce of communities within its boundaries, and actively participates in Chamber activities in Hamilton and Burlington through sponsorship of events, including most recently, the Bay Area Economic Summit.
Thank you to our sponsor: