Dear Member of the REALTORS® Association of Hamilton-Burlington,
On March 7, 2019 the Board of Directors of RAHB accepted with regret the resignation of Nikola Bucalo as a Director of the Association. We thank Nik for his years of service to RAHB and its members – as a Director, Committee Chair and most recently as President-Elect. We wish him continued success and all the best for him and his family.
In accordance with RAHB Bylaw 3.03, the Board of Directors has appointed Donna Bacher to fill the existing Director vacancy on the Board until December 31, 2019.
In accordance with RAHB Bylaw 10.01, on March 25, 2019, the Board of Directors will be appointing or electing one of the Directors to fill the vacant President-Elect position.
The Board of Directors of RAHB continues to work on behalf of the Association in order to “Empower REALTORS® to Succeed”.
Bob Van de Vrande, B.Comm., M.B.A., B.Ed.
2019 RAHB President
REALTORS® Association of Hamilton-Burlington
Congratulations to Immediate Past President, Jack Loft, who won the 2019 Spirit Award from the Ontario REALTORS Care® Foundation!
The Spirit Award is given to individuals and organizations that have been instrumental in promoting the good works of the Ontario REALTORS® Care Foundation through past successes and continual fundraising support!
Below is a message written to 2018 RAHB President, Jack Loft, from John Lusink, President at Right at Home Realty.
Thank you very much for inviting me out to lunch and for the update on what RAHB is doing for its members. In my 34+ years in real estate, I can honestly say this is the first time an Association President has done outreach like this.
Merry Christmas, John Lusink.”
We hope you and yours are enjoying a safe and happy holiday season!
As 2018 draws to a close, it’s a good time to reflect on what your Association has accomplished on your behalf this past year. Your Board of Directors and RAHB staff worked to improve services for you, which will allow you to better serve your clients and customers:
- OpenHouses.ca now includes all local active listings – not just open houses.
- We investigated how to increase professionalism among members and have taken steps, through Professional Development offerings and collaboration with the City of Hamilton (re: signage bylaw compliance), to more fully inform members on ethical and professional issues.
- We continued to improve and expand on how we connect with members: Lunch with the President, video updates for members immediately following each Board of Directors meeting, Broker of Record meeting updates, weekly NewsReal newsletter, social media campaigns and even more videos.
As 2018 President and CEO, we are pleased to report that:
- Your monthly service fees in 2019 will be reduced from $39 per month to $38 effective January 1, 2019. This is the second year in a row that we have reduced your fees while maintaining or expanding services to you.
- This year saw the greatest number of RAHB members on record. We hit a high of 3,167 members at year end, the highest on record for RAHB making us the second largest real estate board/association in Ontario, clearly indicating REALTORS® value what we offer.
Please watch for more information about what your Board of Directors and Association accomplished for you in the 2018 Annual Report, coming your way in the first quarter of 2019.
Best wishes for a healthy and prosperous new year.
Jack Loft George O’Neill
2018 RAHB President RAHB CEO
RAHB President Jack Loft had a great lunch on Wednesday, December 12, with Steve DeVisser of City Brokerage. Jack and Steve enjoyed Italian at Caro’s at Ottawa and Main Streets in Hamilton. Steve lives and works in the core and is passionate about the rental licensing issue currently working its way through Hamilton City Hall. He would like to see a zoning requirement on all RAHB listings. He also likes the idea of compulsory electronic lock boxes and is a big fan of ShowingTime. Thanks again Steve!
In case you weren’t able to attend the RAHB Annual Election Meeting on Wednesday, December 5, here’s a brief recap of what you missed.
Congratulations to RAHB’s newest Directors:
Nicolas von Bredow
These six new Directors will join continuing Directors to form the 2019 Board of Directors
Bob Van de Vrande (President)
Jack Loft (Immediate Past President)
Kathy Della Nebbia
The new Board was installed by CREA President Barb Sukkau at the Annual Election Meeting
CREA President Barb Sukkau discussed the approval for sold information to be displayed on REALTOR.ca (with agreement from individual boards and associations) and how CREA will keep REALTOR.ca the number one choice for consumers.
Professionalism and Ethics
CREA General Counsel Bill Harrington discussed the importance of members individually and collectively adhering to ethical practice in their businesses.
Members approved three recommended amendments to the RAHB Bylaw:
- To reduce the number of scrutineers required at an Annual Election Meeting
- To incorporate a provision to the Professional Standards/Discipline process to allow for automatic fines for infractions of 14 Basic MLS® Rules
- To allow staff to make small edits such as punctuation, spelling or number sequence to sections of the Bylaw affected by the first two amendments.
Click here to view approved amendments to the Bylaw. Scroll down to Voting Items.
Scholarships in Memory of Karan Barker were awarded to five sons and daughters of RAHB members.
Read more about the scholarship and recipients.
Congratulations to Hank Balfoort, Jacqueline Norton, Andrew Robertson, Julie Sergi, Brian Shaw and Nicolas von Bredow on their election to the RAHB Board of Directors for 2019!
Have you received your RAHB Annual Election Meeting (AEM) package? It was e-mailed to all voting members yesterday, Tuesday November 20. The package includes all the information you need about the election and the meeting agenda. You can also view it by clicking on the button below.
Here’s how the election process will shape up between now and the election meeting:
Tuesday November 27- Thursday, November 29 Electronic voting available
Monday, December 3 Deadline for receipt of proxies
Wednesday, December 5 Annual Election Meeting
Plan to come to RAHB’s Annual Election Meeting on December 5! On the agenda are:
- CREA President Barb Sukkau: Keeping REALTOR.ca the Preferred Choice for Consumers
- CREA General Counsel Bill Harrington: The Business of Ethics – What’s In It For Me?
- Proposed Bylaw amendments
- Election Meeting
- Installation of 2019 Board of Directors
- Presentation of Scholarships in Memory of Karan Barker
- RAHB Year in Review
Royal Botanical Gardens
8:45 a.m. Registration
9:30 a.m. Meeting begins
Check the election package for complete details about the election timeline, the meeting agenda and candidates for election to the 2019 Board of Directors which are listed alphabetically and not by rank.
To Voting Package
What does current RAHB President, Jack Loft, think is the best reason to be a Director? Watch the video below to find out.
For more information please click here.