Stoney Creek is best known as the site of the Battle of Stoney Creek – a pivotal battle between a small force of British soldiers and a larger number of American troops in the War of 1812.Population:  62,292 (2006 Census)

Geographic location:
On the southern shore of the west end of Lake Ontario, east of Hamilton. The historic area known as the “Old Town” lies below the Niagara Escarpment.

Historical facts:
The Battle of Stoney Creek took place on June 6, 1813 during the War of 1812. The British army, although much smaller in numbers (700), surprised and overwhelmed the 3000 American troops and captured the two U.S. Generals  to win the battle that lasted less than 45 minutes and killed hundreds. The victory was pivotal in ensuring that Upper Canada’s existence would not be threatened further until it expanded to become the Province of Canada in 1841 and, eventually, Canada in 1867.

In 1974 the town of Stoney Creek merged with Saltfleet Township. The merger encompassed the agricultural communities of Elfrida, Fruitland, Tapleytown, Tweedside, Vinemount and Winona. The areas it annexed on top of the Niagara Escarpment west of Highway 20 (now known as Upper Centennial Parkway) became known as Upper Stoney Creek or Satellite City.

In 1984 Stoney Creek became a city and in 2001 it was amalgamated into the City of Hamilton.

Points of Interest:
The site of the Battle of Stoney Creek near Centennial Parkway and King Street has been preserved as Battlefield House with its associated museum, park and monument which commemorates a century of peace between the British and the Americans.

The Erland Lee Museum, a National Historic Site of Canada, is located on the ridge of the Niagara Escarpment in Stoney Creek.  Erland Lee house is the birthplace of the Women’s Institute.

Stoney Creek

Devil’s Punch Bowl is a one hundred metre wide rock face that exposes 40 million years of geological history (

Stoney Creek Waterfront Trail is now linked to the Red Hill Creek Trail system by a bridge crossing the wetlands and the QEW, connecting Upper Stoney Creek to the lake. (

Eramosa Karst Conservation Area is located at Upper Mount Albion Rd.  (

Fifty Point Conservation Area is an 80-hectare park with marina facilities. (

Billy Green Falls is also known as Battlefield Falls, as it is located on Battlefield Creek.  The complex ribbon falls is 17 metres high and its crest width is 6 metres.


Stoney Creek1Events:
Battlefield House Museum and Park is the site of the annual military re-enactment of the Battle of Stoney Creek, held in June.  Visit for a list of upcoming events.

Winona Peach Festival, being held August 22-24 this year, is a three-day annual family festival which attracts 150,000 visitors.








Wikipedia,; hamiltontourism; conservationhamilton; city of waterfalls